Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Write a little every day...

I think every well-known author who has ever given an interview directed toward wannabe writers, like me, has advised, "You need to write a little bit every day." The difference between a dream of being a writer, and a goal to become one, is probably that very thing. I am still a dreamer.

There is a commercial for AARP right now with a bunch of "older" people talking about things they want to do "when I grow up." I have rolled my eyes at this commercial a number of times, thinking that waiting until they are "grown up" to start working toward these dreams is such a bad idea. And then I remember that last year, my birthyear fit in the "if you were born between __ and __, you qualify for such and such senior life insurance..." And I too am still dreaming, not taking serious action toward making my dream come true.

For that matter, my daughter seems to be making more progress toward it than I am. She writes a little every time she gets her hands on a writing utensil: a little on her brothers' homework, on her own books, on her clothing and skin, on the walls, the fireplace, the furniture... Perhaps my little girl will be published before I am!

No comments: